Toggle Menu

My News

The Ocean Wise Seafood Program

26 OCT 2020

As the golf season for 2020 comes to an end over the next few weeks, our attention in the kitchen automatically turns to next season. What can we do better? What worked? What didn't work? Lots of questions and scenarios to have discussions about and find solutions and brainstorm ideas that we can implement into 2021 to make your experience at the Club an even better one.

All these questions we ask ourselves will have a whole different feel about them coming through the dreaded '2020' tagline. COVID sure did kick us sideways in every department, but as managers we all benefited from this experience. We learned new skill sets, new ways to operate, new ventures to try and generate revenue, and overall new ways to serve you all in the safest way possible but still providing the 'RattleSnake Experience'. We all feel just as proud and passionate about working at ClubLink's premier facility than you do about being a member here. I know I still get that buzz when telling friends, family members and other hospitality colleagues where I get to call my second home.

2020 was a definite learning curve for all of us, in every situation possible and what we need for 2021 is to take a long hard look in the mirror and make some changes. Make some changes personally, make some changes together and make some changes to help Mother Nature herself. With all that in mind, we can take small steps and start to see some immediate improvement on the land we live on and the air we breathe.

So, for 2021 RattleSnake will be joining The Ocean Wise Seafood Program, and in doing so we will be the first establishment in Milton to do so. Overfishing is a monumental, global issue. Ocean Wise Seafood is an ocean conservation program that empowers consumers and businesses to choose sustainable seafood options that support healthy oceans, today and into the future. We want to achieve our sustainability goals and educate our staff and our members on what we can do for the ocean habitats. 

Over one billion people depend on seafood as their primary source of protein. However, overfishing is one of the biggest threats facing our oceans today. 90% of the world’s fish stocks are now fully fished or overfished according to the most recent report by the UN’s Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). This leaves just 10% of fish stocks underfished – a number that has decreased continuously since 1974.

As the list changes weekly regarding sustainable fish, we can offer a variety of fresh seafood options that our members can choose from knowing that what is on their plate is from the right source and have been harvested in ways that limit damage to the environment and have negative impact on other seafood species. 

Looking forward to this new program and making a difference as a united RattleSnake family on the course and off it.

Mark Stone, Executive Chef, RattleSnake Point Golf Club

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 8.55.54 AM.png